Monday, December 19, 2011

Shanghai Bistro: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Shanghai Bistro
2930 Craig Road
Eau Claire, WI 54701


How Did We Find This Place? 
Shanghai has been around since 2005 and we were right there with it when we had enough money in our broke college accounts to afford a $9 meal, which wasn't often.  On this occasion, Shanghai served as our reunion location while I was in town for work.

What's Unique About This Place? 
Sushi in Eau Claire, that is what's unique about it!  There just isn't another place that does sushi in EC like they can.  Their high level of fish quality might be partially due to the fact that they have two other restaurants (that started after this one) that they are able to help source fish through, located in Stillwater and Hudson; but that's just a wild guess.  Either way, they make it work.

Our Meal
I didn't get pictures of our sushi dishes because I'm a dummy so I apologize.  See my thoughts on those below.
Shanghai Bistro's Moo-Shu Chicken: $9
Shanghai Bistro's Chinese Pancakes (come with Moo-Shu Chicken)
Shanghai Bistro's Orange Chicken: $8
Our Thoughts
As far as the atmosphere, it's a renovated restaurant that used to be something else but dangit, they work with what they have.  

For the meal, the Moo-Shu chicken is enough for my friend Amanda to have two leftover meals which is always a plus.  The Chinese pancakes were really interesting and good, the orange chicken was crunchy and had enough sauce.  But the rice was not the best I've ever and seemed dry if anything.  


But the sushi (that I didn't take pictures of.  Dummy.) was the real star.  We split a tuna/avocado roll and a shrimp tempura roll; they were the best part of the meal in my mind.  Yum!


Holy rice!
Another nice thing is that while the rice might not have been that great, they refill your it when you run out which is key when you're splitting meals.

Would We Go Again?
One thing that does yank my chain about this place is the fact that their happy hour runs from 3-5pm.  Come on!  I know that there is no rush hour to limit the patrons like there is here in the Cities but I would be interested in knowing what was behind that decision making.


Also on a sad note, from what I saw on Urbanspoon, the service is pretty bad so I wonder why if that is such an issue why it hasn't been addressed?  


What we experienced wasn't the best or worst service I've ever had but it was good enough for us on a Thursday night and we would go again...and especially when we get one of those mean sushi cravings.  The sushi here rocks and if that is what you're looking for, you've found your place!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Shanghai is all over the place with service. Some days it's good, most of the time very slow! They have great lunch specials from 11-1 M-F. For $5 you can get a smaller entree and soup, it's a very good lunch. Love this place because of the sushi!!

    ReplyDelete