Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Post Surgery Update: Four Months Later!

Quite a few people have asked for updates on how things have been going after the Nissen Fundoplication so I thought I would fill everyone in with the latest and greatest.

I can't believe it's already been four months!  As far as the healing process, there are a few things to note that I thought might be helpful for people wondering what it's like the first few weeks and months post surgery.  Please note that this was my experience and not everyone will have all or any of these:
  • Shoulder pressure - in my case, I definitely had chest pressure in my shoulders and chest a week or two after the surgery but that eventually got much more mild after about 3 weeks. 
  • Food getting stuck at my wrap site- oh yeah, definitely had some food get stuck.  It feels like you're choking and all you can do is try to push it down by drinking some luke warm water.  It's sick.  Some of the trouble foods that I battled with include: fish, Gushers (don't ask...I'm addicted), salad and buttered noodles.  While some doctors say that you can move to solids chewed well after a week or so, I would REALLY chew it and make sure that you have some kind of sauce if you're doing that route or just wait until two weeks when the swelling has gone down.
  • Heartburn - when I went back to work I tried having coffee again in the mornings and it was an EPIC fail.  I got WICKED heartburn and felt like I was having a heart attack at about 1:30 PM every day.  So, needless to say coffee is permanently out of the question based on my stomach's reaction from it.  Same thing with anything more than a 1/2 can of soda for this gal.
  • The way heartburn felt - the feeling/sensation that I had when I got heartburn after surgery was COMPLETELY different than it had ever been before.  Which to me makes 100% sense since before it just kept coming back up and now it was finally forced to stay down and holy man did it burn the few times that it happened.
  • Incisions - My incisions are scars that are by no means invisible but my surgeon did a great job on sewing me up.  I did have one suture that didn't dissolve but when I went in for my one month check-up and my doctor saw that it was still there, she pulled it out carefully with medical tweezers so that I didn't have to wait for it to dissolve naturally.  It hurt like a beast but it was totally worth not having to wait for it.
  • Chest pressure, long term- I'm now at four months and it has been confirmed through X-ray that the wrap works and is closing successfully...and I can tell that it's working when I wake up in the morning since I feel some pressure in my chest that confirms that some air, as well as food, is being held down as well.  It's not that big of a deal once you're out of bed for 5 minutes and moving around; it works itself out.
  • Appetite/stomach size - the reality of the situation is that since they wrap it around the top of your stomach it will be swollen for quite a while.  Then after the swelling is down, you won't eat as much which I attribute to two things.  One, because of how long it takes to chew and eat your meals and two, because your stomach shrunk from being on a liquid and small meals diet for a long period of time.  And even four months later, I can't and don't eat as much as I used to which for me, is a great thing since with GERD you are supposed eat smaller meals anyways and it just feels SO much better.
  • Working out - working out was a beast and it took much longer to get back into it than I was prepared for.  I wasn't up and fully functioning from a work out standpoint for about 7 weeks.  At seven weeks, my abs were still repairing themselves and felt pretty sore, I wasn't able to eat the normal foods that I had been in the past so my body was screwed up from that lack of "normal foods" and I was getting very tired quickly.  For example, instead of my standard 2-2.5 miles jogging, I was taking a 1 mile walk and feeling completely burned out and like I needed a nap (and often times did).  But, I did bounce back at about 8 weeks and I'm fully able to do yoga, pilates, running or anything else that I would have before the surgery.
And through all of this and having weighed the options and post surgery observations above, I would have done it again in a second!  I haven't taken a PPI since the day before the surgery, I haven't thrown up from having horrible heartburn since surgery and while I'll probably never be able to drink coffee again, I'll get over it since there are so many other things that I can now have that were off limits or made me feel horrible!

So here's to tomatoes, garlic, red wine and onions being a part of my life again!  Yay!

8 comments:

  1. I found your blog because I'm in my later 20's and currently dealing with GERD with seveeeeere heartburn. I go in Tuesday to do the 48hrBravo and Manometry test to hopefully get a 100% on the GERD diagnosis so that I can have the surgery. It's so nice to hear that things seem to be going well for you. My main problem is heartburn so it's scary to hear you still get it sometimes, but I think worth it if you can be somewhat back to normal! People just don't understand how hard it is to always be taking meds and be in pain and not eat like a normal person. Anyways please update again if you ever have time again.
    -Maria in SF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria! I do need to write another update since things have gotten even better since then - I'm now able to have coffee and do indulge in some other things that at four months weren't going that well. All in all, this far out I can still say that I would do it again in a heartbeat :). But I'll write a full post soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann Marie.
      I am having the surgery tomorrow. I am looking forward to lying flat again (as well as reduction in all those lovely symptoms)How are you going now, nearly a year later?
      -Nick from Melbourne Australia

      Delete
    2. Hi Nick!

      Things have been going great and I'm still extremely happy with the decision I made last year. I can now drink coffee, have tomatoes again...and pretty much everything beside orange juice without having to worry about it. Luckily there haven't been any side affects that I notice or can detect at this point, so overall, a big success story!

      Let me know if you have any other questions after your surgery! Best wishes and prayers for tomorrow!

      Ann Marie

      Delete
  3. Hey Ann Marie, found your blog through random google search. I am having the "fun"doplication surgery Jan 2nd. I didnt realize how much it was going to change my life.

    Supposedly no more coffee? no more chocolate? bread is gunna get caught? i hear for 90 days ill wanna stay on liquids.. I am gunna lose soooo much weight haha.

    Did you lose weight from all of this?

    How much time did you take off of work?

    I have school starting 12 days after surgery and i wanna make sure I can make it this semester.

    mind emailing me back?

    maxfield.blue@gmail.com

    Thank you for your blog! Its awesome.

    -max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ann Marie,

    Reading your blog has really been a relief to me. I am Amber 27 from London and about to have this surgery on Saturday. I am absolutely terrified, went to have my pre-assessment today and basically didn't get told anything!! I guess the other part of me is really down about the fact that I wont be able to run....I usually run 8-10 miles a day, so this is something I am really going to struggle with. But by the sounds of it, even just a walk will be enough exercise for now!!

    Anyway just wanted to say thank you so much for doing this. It is surprising the lack of real information there is about recovery and this has helped put my mind at ease...especially as I have never had an op before!!

    Hope all is still well and good luck to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! First off, we have the same name and it's spelled the same as well! Which is totally uncommon. Lol Secondly, I'm 3 weeks post off and I'm still struggling getting large amounts of liquid down and I still drink a lot but feel dehydrated. Have you had trouble with this? I was reading through your list and I couldn't agree more on everything! I hope things are going well for you!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and the postings about the fundoplication. I had mine in 2007 after many years of suffering with reflux. I moved to France from UK in 2002 and was diagnosed around 2004. I went onto PIPs very successfully, but having read research suggesting that post-menopause, these drugs can cause osteoporosis, I had the op in France. Absolutely marvellous - changed my life completely! The surgery was keyhole - I have five tiny scars, now faded, was out of hospital in 4 days. Lost a couple of stones in weight - an extra advantage for me - and after about two or three months could eat or drink anything I liked, and this is still the case. There are other advantages eg bending over to garden, no burning throat or cough etc. Of course, it must be the individual's decision, but I would say that the operation, for me, was 100% successful and I would recommend it to anyone. Sorry this is two years later, but someone else contemplating their future might read this.

    ReplyDelete